CITY & GUILDS DIPLOMA IN DENTAL NURSING - LEVEL 3
The Diploma in Dental Nursing level 3 is a City & Guilds qualification which replaces the NVQ Oral Healthcare—Dental Nursing Level 3 Award and is recognised by the General Dental Council (GDC) for statutory registration.
This course is run as a day release course with students attending the Centre from 9.30 to 4pm.
The course consists of three parts which are:
- Attendance at lessons once a week to gain the theoretical knowledge and completion of assignments and projects which will for part of your Portfolio of Evidence
- Observations carried out while working with their dentist
- Completion of 4 short computerised examinations taken throughout the course.
To achieve the Qualification students must complete 15 mandatory units which are as follows:
- 268 – First aid essentials
- 301—Reducing the risk to Health & Safety in the dental setting
- 302—The role and responsibilities of the dental nurse
- 304—Prepare and maintain, environments, instruments and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- 305—Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- 306—Provide chair side support for the assessment of patients’ oral health
- 307—Contribute to the production of dental radiographs
- 308—Provide chair side support for the prevention and control of periodontal disease and caries, and the restoration of cavities
- 309—Provide chair side support for the provision of fixed and removable appliances
- 310—Provide chair side support for non-surgical endodontic treatment
- 311—Provide chair side support for the extraction of teeth and minor surgery
- 312—Provide information and support to individuals on the protection of their oral health
- 313— Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- 314—Dental Radiography
- 315—Management of oral health diseases and dental procedures
Units 305, 313, 314 and 315 are achieved by completion of computerised examinations taken during the course all other units are achieved through the completion of a Portfolio of Evidence
Success in all 4 examinations and production of your Portfolio Of Evidence will enable the student to obtain their qualification and register with the GDC.
- Be UK or EU citizens who can live and work in the UK without any visa or work permit requirements
- Have English and Mathematics at GCSE Grade A - C or equivalent (translations of qualifications gained outside of the UK will be required to show equivalence)
- Be actively looking for work as a dental nurse
Interviews will consist of:
- Completion of a short literacy and numeracy test
- Interview with Head and Class tutors
- Details of course fees will be provided at interview